Mediahuis buys the last bit from a German publisher

30 percent in Mediahuis still belonged to Rheinische Post Mediengruppe.

The Belgian publisher Mediahuis, the company behind newspapers such as De Standaard, The Herald and De Telegraaf, becomes the full owner of the German industry peer Medienhaus Aachen. Mediahuis has had a majority stake since 2021, but is now taking over the remaining shares.

The Belgian group announced this on Wednesday.

Mediahuis took a 70 percent stake in Medienhaus Aachen at the beginning of 2022. It thus took its first step into the German newspaper market. The remaining 30 percent remained in the hands of Rheinische Post Mediengruppe, which has now sold its stake to Mediahuis.

Medienhaus Aachen operates in North Rhine-Westphalia. It publishes, among other things, the Rheinische Post, the daily newspaper with the highest circulation in the Rhineland. It currently employs approximately 3,000 people.

Mediahuis calls the expansion of its activities to the German region of North Rhine-Westphalia a significant move. It was the publisher’s first step into the German newspaper market. According to Mediahuis, Medienhaus Aachen has taken important steps in the digital development of both the organization and its titles.

Related articles